running hddtemp sensor as non-root

Zach Carter linux at zachcarter.com
Mon Jul 2 19:37:08 CEST 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 09:06:16 am Roger D Vargas wrote:

> > Why do you need to run it as root?
> When i try to run as normal user I got an error: cant open /dev/hda
> I also have hddtemp running as daemon, but I guess sensors plugin doesnt
> query the daemon, but tries to run directly /usr/sbin/hddtemp.

It appears that in FC7 /usr/bin/hddtemp is linked to "consolehelper", which is
part of the "usermode" rpm package, which uses pam to authenticate and
run things as root:

Description :
The usermode package contains the userhelper program, which can be
used to allow configured programs to be run with superuser privileges
by ordinary users.

Anyway, thats why hddtemp (and probably the sensors plugin) works just
fine as a regular user in Fedora.

-Zach