mousepad future

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 21:25:41 CET 2007

On 1/24/07, Xavier Otazu <xotazu at cvc.uab.es> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:26:20 +0100
> xfce-request at xfce.org wrote:
>
> > One of the main reasons why I don't use Mousepad is because it
> > doesn't have syntax highlighting. Most of my text editing involves
> > either writing bash scripts or HTML markup.
>
> My opinion about mousepad is that it should be like it is now. The
> idea behind mousepad is that it should be a VERY SIMPLE and LIGHTWEIGHT
> editor (in fact, I think it is not so lightweight)
>
> If users want a lightweight texteditor with more functionalities, they
> can use nedit.
>
> In fact, nedit uses much less memory (5.5Mb) than mousepad (8.5Mb) and
> is (and starts) as fast as it. Furthermore, nedit has much more
> functionalities than mousepad (tabs, sintax highlight, macros, etc). The
> only difference is that mousepad is more eye candy.

I don't know about eye candy unless you mean "uses Gtk". And yes, the
fact that nedit uses less memory that Mousepad and has equally fast
startup time has always irked me. That said, nedit is generally
shipped as a statically linked binary, which shaves some startup time,
and has been hand optimized for years. They've got the run up.

> cheers
>
> Xavier

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room