Announce: Xfce 4.4.0 released

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Tue Jan 23 08:45:02 CET 2007

Bo Thide' wrote:
> Yes, I have.  I removed the top panel (don't like the idea of wasting
> space on two panels), and used panel settings to make the bottom as much
> CDE-like as I could.  Still, I was not satisfied.  For instance, I
> cannot get the names of the workspaces displayed in the Pager of the
> panel (this CDE-like feature was possible in earlier releases of xfce).
> There are no "popup arrowheads" as in CDE.  And the icons are no longer
> CDE-like as they used to be.  And the colour scheme is too Windows-ish
> to my liking.  And the xfce panel autohide option is confusing and
> annoying (I prefer the CDE mechanism).  In summary, xfce4 seems to have
> diverged so much away from earlier versions that it appears impossible
> to turn it into something that I feel comfortable with.

A CDE look is no longer a goal of Xfce since there isn't a great deal of
demand for it from our user base and none of the Devs seems particularly
interested.

You can get some guidance from this mailing list of how to make it as
CDE-ish as possible. For example, using the xfce-stellar gtk theme and
the Mofit window manager theme are a good start.

Alternatively, any submissions -- patches, plugins or artwork to achieve
a CDE look will probably be accepted if they are usable. I don't think
anyone is *against* a CDE look.

Finally, you could try pulling Xfce 3.x from SVN and building it. It's
not maintained but ought to be still fairly usable.

-- b