Menu editor crashes when I try to open /usr/lib

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sat Jan 20 13:19:44 CET 2007

Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> TerryJ wrote:

>>> This is when you should issue a "backtrace". Now we know it is in "strcmp()", but only with the backtrace we can see exactly who issued the bad "strcmp()".
>>>
>> Ok.  Shouldn't there be more than this?  Do I need to take a coffee
>> break and let the hour glass empty?

>> 0xa757546a in strcmp () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0xa757546a in strcmp () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
>> (gdb)
>>

> Seems like the stack is gone :PP
>
> Ok, let's try another approach:
>
> Start the xfce4-menueditor with strace, like this:
>
> 	strace -f xfce4-menueditor > /tmp/strace-xfce4-menueditor.log 2>&1 &
>
> Then "crash" it.
>
> Then send us the last 100 lines of the file /tmp/strace-xfce4-menueditor.log
>
> (you can do a "tail -n 100 /tmp/strace-xfce4-menueditor.log > /tmp/strace-last100.log" and attach the second file).
>
> Álvaro

I tried the second method twice, breaking at different points to start
gdb and attach it.  Each time I subsequently returned to the menu
editor, the dialogue showed no controls except close and
minimise/maximise.  The close control was unresponsive, so I killed the
process and quit gdb.

Here is the tail file.

--

Regards, TerryJ