Menu editor crashes when I try to open /usr/lib

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sat Jan 20 10:56:38 CET 2007

Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> TerryJ wrote:
>
>> Jean-François Wauthy wrote:

>>> Oh yes it can :p
>>>
>>> use gdb xfce4-menueditor as command
>>>
>>> (gdb) run
>>>
>>> wait for a crash (or not :)), if it crashes
>>> (gdb) bt
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>> This sort of thing is all in a day's work for you, I suppose.  My
>> interpretation of your message and the results follow:
>>
>> - - - quote - - -
>> [terry at localhost xfl]$ gdb xfce4-menueditor
>> GNU gdb 6.3
>> Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
>> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>> conditions.
>> Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
>> This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...
>> (no debugging symbols found)
>> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/libthread_db.so.1".
>>
>> (gdb) run
>> Starting program: /usr/bin/xfce4-menueditor
>>
>> [2]+  Stopped                 gdb xfce4-menueditor
>> - - - end quote - - -
>>
>> I'm guessing the problem is "(no debugging symbols found)" and I have to
>> employ Synaptic again or unearth some configuration file and do strange
>> things with a text editor.  Mutter, mutter.  He said it was easy,
>> mutter, mutter.
>>

> Try launching the menu editor normally. Then, before you open /usr/lib, open a xfterm:
>
> Get the PID of the xfce4-menueditor: "pidof xfce4-menueditor" or "ps xau| grep xfce4-menueditor".
>
> Launch gdb, and write "attach PID", where PID is the xfce4-menueditor pid. Then issue the command "cont".
>
> Open "/usr/lib" and watch the errors in gdb (see [2]). Issue a backtrace.
>
> Send us the backtrace.
>

> Example:
>
> <snip>

Ok.  I'll do that.  Meantime, I closed the terminal because I wanted to
edit the bash history files.  Two menu-editor windows appeared from
nowhere, so I opened the terminal again and :

- - - quote - - -
Starting program: /usr/bin/xfce4-menueditor
Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded system supplied DSO at 0xffffe000
(no debugging symbols found)
ditto umpteen times
- - - end quote - - -

When I attempted to navigate into /usr/lib, the following appeared in
the terminal:

- - - quote - - -
0xa75b846a in strcmp () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
- - - end quote - - -

I watched the hour glass turning for 2 minutes and killed the menu editor.

I should add that the same problem occurs when I try to enter /lib in
the menu editor.  These attempts occur when, to choose an icon, I select
"image files" and get a navigator dialogue.

I'll try the other method asap, probably tomorrow.

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org