[Trash service] incorrect display of deleted files

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jan 18 13:49:47 CET 2007

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> There is a small not so important problem with the Trash
> service. Thunar and emelFM2 both comply
> with the Freedesktop.org specifications as to where to trash files.
> Files deleted by both applications
>
> are correctly displayed by emelFM2 in the appropriate folder. When
> accessing
> the Trash through Thunar, however, files deleted by emelFM2 have a "0-"
> prepended to their name.
>
> Is this a problem in the way Thunar displays the files or in the way
> emelFM2
> trashes them (the latter doesn't comply fully, that is it doesn't create a
> separate file with appropriate information)?

Well, if emelFM2 doesn't create the .trashinfo file, than its
implementation is broken and doesn't comply at all. Thunar tries to work
around such broken implementations by displaying the file even if the
(important!) .trashinfo file is missing (it's impossible to figure out
the real file name if the .trashinfo file is missing, because the name
of the trashed file doesn't need to be the same as the original name).
Thunar falls back to display the relevant part of the URI, where the
"<trash-id>-" prefix identifies the trash were the file was found (0 is
the home trash). I.e. 'trash:///0-test' refers to a trashed resource
'test' in the home trash.

BTW: You should report this to the emelFM2 developers, because that's
not just a minor feature missing, but a totally broken implementation of
the spec. The .trashinfo files are not only used to store additional
information. The creation of theses files is also used to avoid races
when trashing files. With such an implementation, users might accidently
delete files even if they wanted to trash them, hence effectively
loosing data.

> Regards,
> Liviu

Benedikt