External device mounted from the Desktop become unmounted?

Krisztian VASAS iron at ironiq.hu
Fri Jan 12 08:47:18 CET 2007

This one time, at band camp, Andrew Robinson wrote:
>I have noticed twice now, that after mounting a device from the
>auto-desktop icon that it becomes unmounted overtime and the icon will
>never go away.
>
>This has happened with my USB2.0 external hard drive and a USB thumb pen drive.
>
>This last time what happened:
>1) insert the thumb drive
>2) right click on the "sdb1" icon & select mount (to /media/usbdisk)
>3) went to lunch
>4) came back and didn't show as being mounted
>5) unplugged the device
>6) the desktop icon is still there
>7) plug the drive in again (icon doesn't change)
>8) select mount again and get an error that there is no mount point
>for /dev/sdb1

I have quiet the similar problem, but with optical drive.
I put the disc to the drive, system-wide ivman mounts it, icon is shown on
the desktop. But if i get out of the drive, ivman doesn't umount it and hald
doesn't inform xfdesktop about the event. Well, as i can see, hald is buggy.

>There is now way (to my knowledge) to remove the icon from the desktop
>at this point without restarting XFCE.

Restart hald, maybe that works.

IroNiQ
--