XFCE 4.4 and Debian Etch?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Tue Jan 9 19:55:44 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:16:56AM +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Debian Etch on a handful of machines in our "salle
> multimédia" (Montpezat, South France). I thought Etch would ship XFCE 4.4, but
> as far as I reckon, there's been a freeze, which means we have a somewhat
> bizarre mix of 4.4RC1 and 4.4RC2. Nghhhh!

yeah, its a bummer. I'm running etch on a couple desktops and sid on
one. It'll be interesting to see how fast they diverge. So, with all
due respect, I would imagine that running a multi-media installation
would be much more successful on sid anyway as it keeps up
better. But, of course, you'd have to be willing to support it much
more.

> Anybody knows about a way to circumvent this? There have been some sensible
> translation efforts made between the two release candidates, and it's sad they
> aren't officially available.

you might be able to run a mixed sytem to get more recent xfce from
sid on top of an etch base. and maybe you can do the same with other
stuff too -- multimedia codecs and players for example. So long as the
next release doesn't see an earthshaking change similar to libc6 upgrade and
xf86 -> xorg it should be fairly do-able.

> Jesus... the next stable is not out yet, and I'm already considering
> backports.

finally, if you're looking at running etch anyway, what's the harm in
backporting xfce yourself so long as you do it early before there's
too much divergence. It shouldn't be that hard, and since you're going
to be running etch/stable, you'd not see any changes in the look/feel
of the desktop anyway, so backport it once early on when it hits the
version you want and then let it go.

all this is of course my 2 francs.