Xfce and web browsers

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sun Jan 7 05:47:49 CET 2007

Charles A Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:11:50 -0500
> Erik Harrison wrote:
>

>> %s is the argument being passed. It's substituted.
>>
>> You've upgraded to Firefox 2.0 (err, Swiftfox), which has as the
>> default behavior to open URLs in new tabs. Go to
>> Edit->Preferences->Tabs and say "New content should be opened in a new
>> window"
>>

> For that behavior in the external program browser preference I simply
> use
>
> firefox -remote 'openurl(%s,new-window)'
>
> This is with mozilla-firefox-2.0-2mdv2007.1
>

>     Charles

What behaviour?

If I nominate "mozilla-firefox" (secretly a link to the swiftfox
executable), links open in a new tab in the last active window.

If I nominate swiftfox (without using any disguise), the links open a
new, *empty* window.

Same executable, different name in the Settings manager.  How rational
is that?

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org