The Compositing feature ?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 28 20:42:03 CET 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:39:31 +0100 Niels Rasmussen wrote:

>Hi list
>
>I've tried to adjust the settings in the composite dialogs.
>
>After a short while it makes my processor(s) go crazy, see link below:
>
>http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/nielsrasmus/Screenshots/photo#5036669126955373602
>
>My system is debian testing (etch) AMD64x2.
>
>I have this in my xorg.conf :
>
> Section "Extensions"
>   Option "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection
>

>Is it because this feature is a 32 bit only ?

A few possibilities:

1.  You are using a video card and driver combination that doesn't
support hardware acceleration of the X Render extension.

2.  You don't have hardware Render acceleration enabled in your xorg
config.

3.  You're using the nvidia binary driver, which is known to have weird
CPU-eating effects on some platforms with some configurations with some
cards when the compositor is enabled.  (I was actually able to fix this
on my machine by messing around in my BIOS setup... I think I changed
"AGP Drive Strength" to... something else.  YMMV.)

	-brian