Xfce4 Crash: Need Help Quickly

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 26 17:35:26 CET 2007

   When I logged on my main server/workstation this morning, and entered
'startx' (the alias for startxfce4), the display would not come up. Somehow
it was really trashed overnight (and, no, I wasn't rooted). I've been
restoring from Friday night's backup tape, but have hit a barrier.

   Xfce comes up _very_ slowly. Two of my former desktop contents appear (but
without the xfwm frames, the panel has no virtual desktops, then the pane
disappears. When I try running xfce4panel, nothing happens.

   After manually shutting down X (ctrl-alt-backspace), I see these messages
on the screen:

xfwm4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_type_register_static_simple

** (xfce4-panel:28998): WARNING **: module
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libshowdesktop.so cannot be opened:
libxfce4panel.so.1:

** (xfce4-panel:28998): WARNING **: module
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libwindowlist.so cannot be opened:
libxfce4panel.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

** (xfce4-panel:28998): WARNING **: module
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libsystemload.so cannot be opened:
/usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_type_register_static_simple
env: firefox-bin: No such file or directory
removing stale pidfile
jpilot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_type_register_static_simple
The application 'xfce4-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

(xfdesktop:28980): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

(xfdesktop:28980): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from session
manager.
The application 'xfdesktop' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

(xfce4-panel:28998): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

   This is, of course, a major inconvenience on a work day. I'd really
appreciate your guidance in restoring xfce4-4.2.3.2, the panel, all
workspaces, and xfwm4 as quickly as possible.

TIA,

Rich