Annoying bug regarding active sticky windows in Xfwm4

Mişu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Sun Feb 25 13:21:17 CET 2007

În data de 25 Feb 2007 ls 12:10:47 +0100 Olivier Fourdan a scris:
[snip]
> - - Open 2 windows (like, say, basic xterm) on one workspace. Stick one of
> the two windows and focus the other one (ie the window that is focused
> is not the sticky one).
>
> - - Then switch to another workspace where there is no other window
> opened. The sticky window is therefore the only window eligible for
> focus. Therefore, the sticky window should be focused (it is, here)
>
> - - Now switch back to the previous workspace, the original focused window
> (ie not the one that is sticky) should be focused (it is, here).
>
> If you can make this test, and it passes successfully, then xfwm4
> correctly restore focus and works as expected.

What happens here when trying this test case with two xterm windows:

 * In Xfce 4.2 when I switch the current workspace, the sticky window
doesn't become active (even if it's the only window in that workspace)
and switching back I have the same window active

 * In Xfce 4.4 when I switch the current workspace, the sticky window
becomes active and stays active even when switching back.

I've tried to change one by one all the focus related settings in the
"Focus" tab of the "Window Manager" and "Window Manager tweaks", namely
"Automatically give focus to newly created windows", "Activate focus
stealing prevention" and "Honor the standard ICCCM focus hint".

Running out of ideas and patience, I've created a new user and logged
in with Xnest to test the default values, but the behaviour is the same.
The default settings are: "unticked" for "Activate focus stealing
prevention" and "ticked" for the other two, which is what I also use in
my own account.

The systems tested are Debian Sarge with xfwm4 version 4.2.3.2 from
xfce.corsac.net and a standard Debian etch system with the included
xfwm4 4.3.99.2 (revision 23720). At work I use an unmasked xfwm4 4.4.0
(revision 24671) in a Gentoo hardened system with similar Gaim
related issues, but I cannot test this for the moment.

Update: I've managed to run a raw Xnest through ssh on the Gentoo
machine at work with Xfce 4.4.0 (at home I used gdmflexiserver) and
indeed, the test case works as in your case.

However, I also have the Gaim focus problems at work in xfwm4 4.4.0,
while in xfwm 4.2.x or other window managers I've used before
(Metacity, Sawfish, Blackbox) I've never encountered them (I've been
using Gaim this way in X since 2000 or 2001, I still have old
screenshots to reassure my memories).

Anyway, I'm sorry for the "bug" label in the subject of this thread, it
seems xfwm 4.4.0 does the right thing, but I'm very eager to find
out how to circumvent this Gaim problem which never bothered me before.

Thanks,

--
mişu