Using winkey as modifier instead of Alt

Juraj Lutter otis at wilbury.sk
Sat Feb 24 11:30:13 CET 2007

Stephan Arts wrote:
> On 2/24/07, TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>> I'd like to use the winkey instead of Alt so that my applications can
>> use the Alt key.
>>
>> When I try to use "Window Manager" to set, for example, winkey+F7, the
>> winkey is ignored and F7 is set as the key.
>>
>> Is this Xfce at work (or not at work) or the distro?
>
> http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#keyboard
>
> As you can see, it is GTK. The distro ships a pre 2.10 gtk version,
> as-of gtk 2.10 the
> SUPER modifier is supported and it will work in Xfce when you use that.

I did it in a different way: Manually modified, for example,
~/.config/xfce4/shortcuts/myshortcuts.xml where I've put:

        <shortcut command="mrxvt" keys="Mod4+t"/>

Xorg recognizes left winkey as Mod4 and pressing winkey+t will pop up
new terminal window :-)

However, this Mod4 trick can't be done via shortcuts editor with GTK 2.8 :-(

otis

--
Juraj Lutter                            |  /\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
otis (at) wilbury.sk                    |  \/  - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail