xfce-mcs-manager-CRITICAL...

Álvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Fri Feb 9 00:09:41 CET 2007

gv wrote:
>      Allow me to insist... ;-)
>
>      I've tried with a new user, same problem: only root has right to
> start xfce-setting-show...
>
>      A new one: now I can log as root in a console and start the
> settings; it works for the current session but the config vanishes at
> logout. I saw that when I was making changes as root (in an user
> session), the modified config files were those under
> /root/.config/xfce4/; I copied and changed the owner/grp into my
> ~/.config/xfce4/, but unsuccessfully.
>
>      Any idea?
>
>      Thanks in advance,

Might this be an issue with /usr/whatever permissions?

Try "strace -f xfce-setting-show 2>&1 | grep EPERM" to see if some file you should have read permissions does not have it.

Might be also execute flag (like in directories). I think also if you do a

	find /usr -type f -exec cat '{}' \; > /dev/null

and watch for permission denied, it might give you a clue.