GTK+2 Application Themes

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:52:07 CET 2007

Hi

>    Different themes have different effects. The xfce panel is affected by
> all
> of them.
>
>    For example, 'dusk' changes the text entry widget background to black
> in
> firefox and jpilot, and the background of the entire window in my
> application.
>
>    'Saltlake' affects only my application, and very subtly at that (3D
> edges
> on notebook tabs, gradient color on buttons, no green as in the xfce
> settings dialog).
>
>    'Stellar' changes nothing on firefox, the spin controls in jpilot, and
> the
> entire internal color of my application.
>
>    'Winter' is similar to 'saltlake', but the gradient is reversed (dark
> on
> top, light on bottom) and jpilot is not affected.
>
>    I did not pay close enough attention to these subtleties before.
> Interesting.

You might want to look at www.xfce-look.org. There you can find different
themes. My personal favorites are the Murrine-Themes. You can download a
theme from there, save it in $HOME/.themes, unpack it, and it will be seen
and selectable from the Xfce-Settings-Manager. BUT you must also have the
corresponding Gtk+2-Engine installed. For example the Murrina-Engine to use
Murrina-Themes. You can get these engines also from the same site, but if
you can, it would be better to install them from your package manager.
And you are definitly not restricted to use only themes that start with
xfce-... .
Hope this helps,
Stefan

Thank you,

> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

Institut für Astronomie und Astrophysik
Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen