Paths and commands

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Wed Feb 7 23:50:08 CET 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:57:40 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, John Coppens wrote:
>
> > 1) Which path is used by xfce for its commands? If I type 'glade' in a
> > terminal, it starts, but not in the menu xfce4 - there I have to
> > specify the complete path.
>
> John,
>
>    In a virtual console, type 'which glade' (without the quotes). That
> will tell you if it's on your path. If it is, you can us the same
> single word command in a menu or panel.

$ which glade
/opt/gnome/bin/glade

Still doesn't work in the menu - there I have to set the complete path.

> > 2) Also, if I put 'LC_ALL=en_US /opt/gnome/bin/glade' as the menu
> > command, the LC_ALL gets ignored. In this case, glade is started
> > without the en_US locale. Do I have to write a wrapper script for
> > this?
>
>    Most options follow the executable name. Why not set the
> language/locale globally?
>
> Rich

Because the program I am 'repairing' is for a machine where the
locale is en_US, and I have en_US.utf8 installed on my machine. If I start
glade on my machine without the LC_ALL, I get loads of problems with
é, ó, í, etc. Inclusive the fact that glade will simply not load the menus
with accented letters (it _does_ load widget names with accents, go
figure).

Thanks for the suggestions,
John