Keyboard Shortcut for Changing Volume

shadowkernel shadowkernel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:12:21 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
>
>> shadowkernel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I want to use CTRL+ALT+UP or DOWN to increase or decrease the sound card
>>> volume. I have looked alsa-utils and xfce4-mixer but did not find useful
>>> interfaces for doing so. Would anyone please tell how to finish this
>>> task? When playing a movie under full screen, this is very useful to me.
>>>
>> just create a new shortcut in the keyboard shortcuts settings panel. You can
>> bind ctrl-alt-up and down to any shell command. You just have to figure out
>> which ones that are for alsa, cos I have no clue :)
>>

> $ man amixer

Thanks. I have tried alsamixer and it seems not to provide interfaces.
amixer provides interfaces.

amixer  sset Master VOLUME

So the next step is to write a simple script to run amixer in some way
when key pressed.

Please allow me to another question. I want a volume bar to be displayed
in the center of the screen when adjusting volumes, but not in the panel
because it is too small. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.