Change an active Terminal's background color

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Fri Feb 2 02:27:18 CET 2007

Harold Aling wrote:
>> Current .bashrc config:
>>
>> ssh () {
>>         xtermOldBG=`xtermcontrol --get-bg`
>>         xtermcontrol --bg="darkred"
>>         command ssh "$@"
>>         xtermcontrol --bg=${xtermOldBG}
>> }
>>
>> sudo () {
>>         xtermOldBG=`xtermcontrol --get-bg`
>>         xtermcontrol --bg="darkblue"
>>         command su*do* "$@"
>>         xtermcontrol --bg=${xtermOldBG}
>> }
>>

> (fixed small typo in sudo command)

I use this function (monkey see, monkey do - I don't understand it) in
/etc/bashrc.  After I su to root in Terminal, the colour of the prompt
changes to red.  I imagine you can alter backgrounds in the same way -
as long as your system has that file.  I don't know whether such
functions can be made to work in .bashrc - I tried it unsuccessfully in
Vector.

- - - code - - -
function setprompt
{
local RED="\[$(tput setaf 1)\]"
local RESET="\[$(tput sgr0)\]"
if [ `id -u` = 0 ] # check if user is root
then
PS1="$RED[\u@\h:\W]$RESET "
else
PS1="[\u@\h:\W]$RESET "