Fresh 4.4.2 Install Problems

Robby Workman xfce at rlworkman.net
Wed Dec 19 03:40:45 CET 2007

Tom Weeds wrote:
> No luck Kamran ... thanks for trying.
>
> I'm thinking permission on a directory maybe ....
> root can run terminal no problem.

Does your user have a valid shell defined in /etc/passwd?
  grep $USER /etc/passwd | rev | cut -d: -f1 | rev

I've seen a lot of this happening with our users, and a
common thread seems to be usage of the kde tools for adding,
removing,modifying,etcetera user accounts.  I won't go so
far as to blame the kde tools, as nobody can give us a good
test case to reproduce it [1], and I can't reproduce it here
at all.

[1] I suspect that the people using the kde account tools
    are new users primarily, and thus don't really know
    *how* it got broken at all - after all, I wouldn't
    expect too many intermediate/advanced users to use
    the kde tools for account maintenance (maybe I'm
    wrong though).

-RW