Upgrading GTK

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 5 21:02:53 CET 2007

Tom Weeds wrote:
> I thinking of upgrading my GTK software so I can use some of the
> current xfce utilities (& upgrades).
>
> But  I'm a little concerned about breaking other GTK based software by upgrading
> so 'd like to have 2 versions of GTK installed .... not sure about how
> to go about this.
>
> I suppose the best approach would be to install the new GTK version to
> /usr/local where xfce is
> installed (compiled using installer). Then tell all xfce and utilities
> / plugins to look there for GTK.
>
> Any detailed instructions on how I might  accomplish this task would
> be much appreciated.

I really wouldn't recommend this unless you *really* know what you're
doing and you're willing to spend a lot of time messing around with
environment variables and fixing broken linker commands.

In practice, upgrading gtk shouldn't break any old apps -- they've
maintained binary compatibility throughout the 2.x series.  You'd
probably be better off backing up your system (or at least /usr), doing
the upgrade, and going back to the backup if you encounter problems.  If
you're using a reasonably sane OS, I'm not sure why this is so difficult
anyway...

	-brian