Default applications

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:38:46 CEST 2007

On 8/29/07, Steve Cayford <cayfo001 at umn.edu> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> > [...]
> > Xubuntu sets XDG_DATA_DIRS, and then places it's system wide configs
> > appropriately. Since XDG_DATA_DIRS isn't set, Thunar looks for the
> > files in the standard XDG locations, where there are no defaults. This
> > is as per the XDG spec.
> >
> > What Thunar's behavior is at this point, I'm not sure, but my guess is
> > it casts about for the first .desktop file is can find that supports
> > the MIME type. That's why Emacs opens up
> >
> >> gedit.desktop points to gedit, but gedit is not installed on here. So I
> >> suppose I should edit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list? Can I just
> >> symlink that to /etc/xdg/xubuntu/applications/defaults.list?
> >>

> > Yes, but you shouldn't. That only fixes Thunar - all the other Xubuntu
> > customized packages that use XDG won't be able to find their
> > systemwide defaults.
> >
> > I'm not sure where Xubuntu sets XDG* but you said this was an LTSP
> > customized setup? You've probably changed how the X login process
> > works, replacing the chunk of xinit that sets the vars to what Xubuntu
> > expects.
> >
> > On my Xubuntu system XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to:
> > /etc/xdg/xubuntu:/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
> >
> > Set up the environment to match that at login and you should be golden.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Thank you, this is very helpful. As you suggest, I probably stepped on
> something when configuring the login. Do you have any other XDG_ variables set
> or is it just XDG_DATA_DIRS?

Just XDG_DATA_DIRS. A quick check of my environment says that nothing
else seems particularly special.

You might want to test the change by killing Thunar completely, then
setting XDG_DATA_DIRS in a terminal, and running Thunar, see if the
behavior fixes itself before trying to change the login process.

> -Steve

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson