Keeping an app fixed on a specific workspace

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 27 20:47:42 CEST 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 06:30:19PM +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Joost Kremers, 27.08.2007 18:24:
> > Right now, if I middle-click on a link in Terminal, or call emacsclient
> > from e.g. mutt or slrn, the app being called (Firefox or Emacs,
> > respectively), is moved to the workspace Terminal is on. I'd like to
> > disable this, because it messes up my work habit... (I have every app on a
> > workspace of its own, so that I always know where my apps are.)
>
> You should give Devil's Pie[0] a try. I don???t know of a way using Xfce???s apps alone.

thanks for your reply. are you sure, though, that devilspie will *keep* a
window on a specific workplace? from the description, i get the impression
that it only works to put an app on a specific workspace when it is
started, not that it'll prevent the wm from moving it to another wm when
it's called externally.

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Cologne