Thunar write protect thumb drive error

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Fri Aug 17 22:56:48 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Thunar 0.8.0.

PQI U339 USB thumb drive with "MyCDs" as a label
and a write protect switch

FSTAB:  LABEL=MyCDs /mnt/MyCDs vfat \
         pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:\
         object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,rw,users 0 0

Cent OS 5 (RHEL 5 clone)

Problem:

When I have the thumb drive's switch in the "Write
Protect" position and I click on "MyCDs" in Thunar's
left pane, I get the following (bogus) error message:

        Failed to mount "MyCDs".
        You are not privileged to mount the volume "MyCDs"

 From the command line:

$ whoami
todd      <-- "Todd is not the "root"!

$mount -v LABEL=MyCDs
mount: block device /dev/sdc1 is write-protected, mounting
        read-only /dev/sdc1 on /mnt/MyCDs type vfat
        (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,user=tony)

And, now I can open the "MyCDs" label with Thunar
and browse its contents.  (But, I can not dismount
it from Thunar, as the drive was mounted on the
command line.)

Also, I volunteer to test any patches the developers
come up with to correct this problem. (OH NO!)

Many thanks,
-T