What to use for browsing SMB network?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Apr 24 17:09:51 CEST 2007

On 2007-04-24, mmassonnet at gmail.com <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Since XFCE's Samba browswer has been abandoned, what are people
>> using in its place?  I tried LinNeighborhood, but can't get it
>> to work.  All it does is spew message like this when I try to
>> do anything:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> The prominent anima! tells me about share browsing:
> [ anima|] samba[1]: Thunar already support samba/network browsing,  just
>           mount your shares and go to them with Thunar!

If I knew the name of the host/share, I wouldn't need an SMB
network browser. ;)

>           http://tinyurl.com/3yy3p3
> [ anima|] samba[2]: see ?? fusesmb
> [ anima|] fusesmb: browse your network neighbourhood as were it on your own
>           filesystem http://www.ricardis.tudelft.nl/~vincent/fusesmb/

I'll check that out.

> Maybe you can check out, the filesystem user tools are very good to
> browse samba shares and more.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "filesystem user tools".
Are you talking about the command line smb client stuff (e.g
smbclient)?  Looking for something with smbclient from the
command line when you don't know the workgroup, host, or share
name is pretty slow work.

> If you really really prefer a GUI, try pyNeighborhood out.
> http://pyneighborhood.sourceforge.net/

A Ha!

That's what I was looking for.  I knew there was something that
worked more-or-less like the old XFCE samba browser, but I had
forgotten that pyNeighborhood had replaced LinNeighborhood.

Time to emerge -C LinNeighborhood...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I feel like a wet
                                  at               parking meter on Darvon!