Thunar ftp/smb plugin

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Sep 27 19:41:33 CEST 2006

Oblio wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Is ftp/smb support planned in thunar?
>> It will be great if yes.
>> Alex
>
> And twin panel view + commander shortcuts, too.
> Not gonna happen soon :)

This is starting to annoy me. The next person to ask about this will have to
clean out espresso's spamtrap for two hours.

To retaliate, I have added a FAQ entry describing the problem on the wiki.
Please refer everyone to this:

http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/faq

summary:

============
When will it support samba/network browsing?

It already does! Just mount your shares and go to them with Thunar! Just kidding.

You are obviously asking about Thunar being able to discover remote machines on
a network and mount/unmount shares from them. What you are asking for is nice,
but there is no common framework for it yet that Thunar can build on.

Thunar is designed to be a file manager, not a network file system manager.
Once such a beast exists, Thunar and all other applications will be able to use
it, and you can browse your samba or NFS shares in firefox or emacs, whatever.

Short answer: not any time soon unless you write it yourself.

oh, and this:

THUNAR IS ALREADY GREAT WITHOUT THIS FEATURE DAMMIT!!!

;)

Cheers,

Auke