Thunar: trash:/// != ~/.Trash?

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Wed Sep 27 17:49:11 CEST 2006

ons, 27 09 2006 kl. 13:39 +0200, skrev Mathias Brodala:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Today I was finally able to upgrade from the second beta to the first release
> candidate of Xfce. Due to that Thunar was upgraded too, of course, and now I can
> see the trash feature.
>
> But I have one question regarding this: Why is the pysical location of the trash
> bin in ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ and not in ~/.Trash? This way I have two
> different trash bins now, which is not really helpful. Is there a way to change
> this?
>
> (Oh and BTW: Why is there no trash bin entry in the [Go to] menu?)

>From the FreeDesktop.org Trash specification [1]:

"For every user2 a “home trash” directory MUST be available3. Its name
and location are $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash ; $XDG_DATA_HOME is the base
directory for user-specific data, as defined in the Desktop Base
Directory Specification ."

>From the (FreeDesktop.org) XDG Base Directory Specification:

"$XDG_DATA_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user
specific data files should be stored. If $XDG_DATA_HOME is either not
set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.local/share should be used."

[1]: http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
[2]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

> Thanks and regards, Mathias

Stefan