Setting folder handler in Opera

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Sep 9 11:20:37 CEST 2006

Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Even though I might switch to Thunar in the future I’m using Nautilus right now.
> And I want to use it within Opera as folder handler too, of course. So I set the
> folder handler to „nautilus --no-desktop“.
>
> But this seems completely useless because it’s always Thunar which gets started.
> I even temporarily setting it to Konqueror, but Thunar still shows up when I
> want to view a folder. (And yes, exo-open opens Thunar too.)
>
> The reason why I am writing to this list is because the setting works perfect
> under GNOME. Only when running Xfce Opera (or some unknown background program)
> ignores my setting.
>
> What could cause this behaviour and how could I fix it?
>
> It might have something to do with exo-open in common because „exo-open dirname“
> opens Thunar too. The relevant entries of my
> ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list:
>
>>inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>>x-directory/gnome-default-handler=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>>indode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

exo-open does not support Nautilus, because Nautilus does not implement
the org.xfce.FileManager interface (actually exo-open has a fallback to
gnome-open if all else fails, tho).

Concerning Opera: Maybe Opera is using the xdg-utils (-> xdg-open)?
xdg-open in Xfce always runs exo-open, which would probably explain why
Thunar is started.

> Regards, Mathias

Benedikt