[Solved] Setting folder handler in Opera

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Sep 9 13:27:20 CEST 2006

Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello Benedikt.

Hello Mathias,

>>>This solves my problem for now, although it’s not that clean of a solution.
>>
>>As said, a clean solution would be to implement org.xfce.FileManager for
>>Nautilus.
>
> Hm, but I guess the file manager for a GNOME environment won’t implement an
> interface for another desktop environment.

This does not even need to be implemented in Nautilus, it can be
implemented as a simple D-Bus service (in Python, C#, C, C++, ... every
language for which D-Bus bindings exist), which simply calls nautilus
and/or gnome-open appropriately.

It's only 5 methods to implement (well DisplayFolderAndSelect will not
be possible with Nautilus, but that can fallback to DisplayFolder). See:

http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/thunar/trunk/thunar/thunar-dbus-service-infos.xml

Maybe you know some python guy willing to hack up a 20 lines script. ;-)

The wrapper must be registered as org.xfce.FileManager service with the
message bus.

> Isn’t there a interface independent of the used desktop environment?

Nope.

> Regards, Mathias

Benedikt