autostarting applications on different workspaces?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Sep 3 02:39:57 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 02:19 +0200, Mike Massonnet wrote:

> > You can use kstart from KDE.
> >

>   You are kidding, right?

	No, he's not.  kstart is really a nice utility.

>   How can an application from a so big project do the job?  I hadn't
> say anything if kstart had been a standalone application, but it does
> run a lot of service before making anything.

	Yes, it brings in the KDE libs and junk, but so what?  Most people are
apps they choose.

>   So, I also suggest Devil's Pie as has done Foxy.  There is a nice
> Wiki which shows a lot of examples with explications here:
> http://wiki.foosel.net/linux/devilspie

	I tried this and another one that was mentioned in a similar thread a
while ago but they just didn't want to cooperate.

	FWIW, what I do is open the apps I use on the desktops I want them on
then use the xfce session manager to keep them there.  The only apps I
don't do this with are Evolution and Firefox.  The former because I need
to open an ssh tunnel before starting it and the latter because I tend
to open it on different desktops depending on what I'm doing and what
kind of mood I'm in.