xfce dont run

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Sep 2 14:25:33 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 22:40 +0000, victor leon wrote:

> hi i installed xfce4 (centos 4.3) ,when i turn on the computer and it
> begin to run the services cant load the X mode ,and says respawning
> too fast disabled for 5 minutes,the only way to run xfce is running
> xfce4 in text mode ,how can i solve this problem? bye Victor Leon

	It isn't Xfce that is causing this problem.  it is X itself.  Xfce
isn't even getting a chance to run at all.  Also there is no "text mode"
for Xfce or X itself.  What you are running in is considered either
normal or console mode (depending on your tastes).

	As to the problem itself; the error about respawing to fast is often
caused by an incorrect configuration of X.  Use the X configuration
utility that your distro provides to reconfigure X to a lower setting
(say, 800x600 8bits to start) and see if that works.  If it doesn't you
should contact the support list for the distro you're running and get
help from them.  Once you get X running you will be able to try getting
Xfce up and then you will be in a position to post questions/problems to
this list.

Joe "That is my good deed for the year" Klemmer