Encoding issue with xfdesktop

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Oct 31 08:27:55 CET 2006

Olivier Fourdan a écrit :

> BTW, I thought ISO-8859-15 was deprecated, why Niki doesn't simply use
> UTF8 encoding (ie use fr_FR.UTF-8 instead of fr_FR at euro) ?

I'm a Slackware user, and Slackware still uses various deprecated items
(for good reasons). Here's what the comments in /etc/profile.d)/lang.sh say:

--8<-------------------------

#!/bin/sh
# Set the system locale.  (no, we don't have a menu for this ;-)
# For a list of locales which are supported by this machine, type:
#   locale -a

# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
#export LANG=en_US

# 'C' is the old Slackware (and UNIX) default, which is 127-bit
# ASCII with a charmap setting of ANSI_X3.4-1968.  These days,
# it's better to use en_US or another modern $LANG setting to
# support extended character sets.
#export LANG=C

# There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
# some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
# run properly.  In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
# starting them.  Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
#export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

--8<----------------------

I can only second this, as I've tried various distros that default to
utf-8 (I'm even writing this mail on one:oD), and many apps still don't
work correctly with utf-8.

One other reason why I stick with Slackware is that it runs a-OK on
older hardware. I'm a sysadmin at our local Communauté de Communes
(Montpezat, Sommières, ...) and I have to migrate an armada of outdated
PIII-500 with 64 MB RAM (standard model still in use at the local town
halls:o/ ) from Windows 98 to ... something I would consider more
viable. I've tried out various distributions (Debian, Xubuntu, DSL,
several Slack forks from Vector to Zenwalk to KateOS, even a scripted
LFS install \o/ ), and decided to keep Slackware for the job (no troll
intended, please...).

By the way: huge pat on the shoulder for the nice work, Olivier! Our
mayor and Conseiller Régional was a bit sceptic at first to migrate from
Windows to Linux, but as soon as I told him that significant parts of
the project were a french product (you're from Toulouse, I understand),
he saw no reason to stick to the badly coded commercial products of some
obscure american monopolist :oD

Cheers from the sunny Languedoc-Roussillon,

Niki