[Xarchiver] hangs on opening archives

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Fri Oct 20 14:50:23 CEST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:29:32 +0200, "Liviu Andronic"
<landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 09:32 +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> >
> > > I have a problem with Xarchiver, that dates back from Beta2 (also
> > > present in RC1 graphical-installer or compiling from source
> > > v.0.4.0).
> > >
> > > Xarchiver hangs on opening almost any types of archive,
> > > especially .gz and .bz2. As this behaviour is similar on two
> > > different systems, it's not a problem linked to my computer. I
> > > recentently noticed that it was behaving acceptably well with
> > > small (under 10 kb) archives, while with all the rest it hangs.
> > >
> > > Does anyone else have the same bahaviour?
> >
> >         I just tried it with a 14.6 MB file and a 106.1 MB file and
> > they both
> > opened up with no problems at all.  I'm not saying that there isn't
> > a problem, just that I can't reproduce it here (with my admittedly
> > limited testing).
>
> Is there a way I could track it down? On two different systems
> (previously Mandriva, now Gentoo) Xarchiver is unusable. At all. It
> hangs definitely almost all the time. Is it trackable with gdb or
> something (is it compiled by default with debug support)?
Run gdb xarchiver (in a console) and then you get the gdb prompt, there
you type run. Then xarchiver should start as usual and you can open your
file. If xarchiver starts to hang, get back to the gdb prompt and hit
Ctrl+c to interrupt xarchiver, type backtrace to get the backtrace and
post it here. With the backtrace there is a chance to see where it
hangs and so, Giuseppe can start searching for the problem. And
possibly it is a good idea to upload your test file somewhere, in case
you have any/enough webspace.

Regards,
Enrico