Newbie Questions with Xfce 4.4

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg at serverhive.com
Thu Nov 30 21:38:07 CET 2006

Στις Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:36:57 -0700
Ο/Η Matt Thompson <thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu> έγραψε:

> Third, when I try to get those icons to appear, they do for a second,
> then they flicker out as conky reappears.  But, when they do appear,
> they throw up an error:
>
>     Unable to contact the Xfce Trash service.
>
>     Make sure you have a file manager installed that supports the Xfce
>     Trash service, such as Thunar.
>
> Now, I do have Thunar installed, and I've used it (I like it!), so
> what is this about?  Is there a new setting I need to set?

There should be a Thunar in daemon mode running for the trash service
to actually work. I don't use it, but try to add to the autostarted
applications an entry that runs 'Thunar --daemon' and see what will
happen.

> Fourth, about Thunar, I see that Xfce or something is starting
> gnome-volume-manager.  I thought Thunar had its own VM and, trying to
> be as far from gnome as possible, is there a way to start Thunar's
> instead? Or, if GVM works (and it seems to) it is easier to just let
> it run?

This one must be a leftover from the default gnome installation. I
removed it completely and use Thunar to manage my removable devices.
Chances are that you'll find a checkbox to enable/disable it in
autostart apps.

> Finally (sorry...), when I go to the Settings Manager, and I click on
> the File Manager I get:
>
>     Failed to open the File Manager Preferences.
>
>     Either the Xfce File Manager was not build with support for
> D-BUS, or the D-BUS service was not installed properly.
>
> I *really* don't know about this.  I tried starting Xfce with
> dbus-launch startxfce4, but that didn't help.  And that is the extent
> of my D-BUS knowledge.

Weird, it works fine here. [I'm in FC6, too]

> Thanks,
> Matt

Regards,
Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org
PGP Key: http://stavrosg.serverhive.com/files/GnuPG.key
"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Please copy me to your signature  to help me spread"