Menu and window list no longer show on desktop

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Sun Nov 26 23:52:01 CET 2006

Terry wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>> The symptoms you describe are usually encountered when nautilus is
>> started, taking over the desktop and killing xfdesktop in the process.
>> It is possible that running the settings manager dialog restarts
>> xfdesktop. Running 'killall nautilus' and saving the session when you
>> log out might be needed to prevent nautilus from startig up the next
>> time you log in.
>>
>>     Jasper
>>

> Why is Nautilus running?  Is it incorporated somehow into Xfce?
>
> I did not launch Nautilus but it is running and the offending menu is back.

I've killed Nautilus and the desktop has not exploded.  It occurs to me
that this may be a residue of the first time I ran Nautilus - without
using the --no-desktop switch.  It has been running hidden and has been
saved with each session.

I discovered that there is an option "Allow Xfce to manage the Desktop"
in the Desktop settings module which was unselected.  That may have a
bearing as well.

Xfce is a nice desktop.  I enjoyed using it when I tried Zenwalk and I'm
enjoying using it again.  The Kde tools are hard to beat but they work
just as well on Xfce as they do on Kde.

--

If you're seeking, check out http://www.rci.org.au