request for enhancement: note missing items for control panel

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 18:42:29 CET 2006

On 11/24/06, Anthony Ewell <aewell at gbis.com> wrote:
> Dear XFce Developers:
>
> To my astonishment, CentOS 4.4 does not include
> switchdesk-gui (switchdesk-gui.py) with its
> "workstation" install (the "all" installation does
> get it).
>
> XFce 4.2 will show switch desk gui in its control panels of
> configuration tools only if it can find it.
>
> Please consider showing a blank icon with some kind
> of message when the control panel can not find an
> item.  This would tip the user off that something
> is missing and would reduce a lot of frustration.
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony

I don't really know if this would be desirable, as Xfce is modular,
that is, you don't need to use all components in Xfce at the same
time, or maybe only one of the components. Because of that, users who
do that shouldn't get a lot of unnecessary warnings. Anyway, whatever
switchdesk-gui is, it's not part of Xfce upstream, it's something
CentOS adds, and the devs couldn't add checks for it anyway.

Regards, Alexander Toresson