I cannot get the shutdown and reboot options

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Fri Nov 24 07:13:43 CET 2006

Anthony Ewell wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>

>> Hi.  Thanks for your help.
>>
>> 1)  I have never had a large enough block of time to learn vi.  It
>> should have gone out with the ark.  I don't have any other reason to use
>> sudo, so I don't use it at all.
>>
>> I launched a GUI editor as root from the command line and saved it as
>> root.  I also altered its permissions to make it executable: rwx rx rx
>> (owned by root)  I still have the original file, also owned by root: r r -
>>
>> 2)  Yes, I'm sure that's where that strange file is located and it does
>> not co-exist in /usr/bin, /usr/libexec or /usr/sbin:
>>
>> [root at localhost etc]# which xfsm-shutdown-helper
>> which: no xfsm-shutdown-helper in
>> (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)
>>
>> I'm starting to wonder whether I should put a symlink in /usr/sbin or
>> /usr/libexec.  :-\
>>

> visudo does a syntax check before it allows you to save.   (I
> did learn vi years ago.  It about killed me!  Now I am
> trying to learn Perl.  My main problem seems to be lack
> of time too.)
>
> Would you post the custom parts of your /etc/sudoers?

The air here is fairly blue at present.  I just used visudo to edit a
copy of the original file.  How could anyone enjoy using that infernal
excuse for an editor?

I still cannot run the executable xfsm-shutdown-helper.

The only custom parts of the file are those I mentioned previously:

root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/lib/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Owner:group is root:root and permissions are r:r:-

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the permissions of the
executable?  I think some programmers get off on making things
unnecessarily complicated.

--

If you're seeking, check out http://www.rci.org.au