Always on Top

Odenthal, James P james.odenthal at accusort.com
Sun Nov 19 16:08:47 CET 2006

________________________________

From: xfce-bounces at xfce.org on behalf of Olivier Fourdan
Sent: Sun 11/19/2006 4:56 AM
To: XFCE general discussion list
Subject: Re: Always on Top

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Odenthal, James P wrote:
>
>>> However in XFCE 4.2.2, wmxf4;  The visibility event is working; but the
>>> gtk_window_present() seems to have no effect. The window that I need
>>> always on top remains under the other dialog.
>>>
>>> My customer will not tolerate her window covered.  Any suggestions?
>
> You may try calling gdk_window_raise(widget->window) yourself.
>
> BTW, if you could provide a small test program that exhibits the
> problem, I'd like to investigate this a bit...

Note that I can't get the visibility-notify to work (that's why I'd like
to get your sample code), but gtk_window_present() does properly raise
and focus the window in both xfwm4 4.2 and 4.4 here (see attached sample
code that raise the window on enter event, ie, move the pointer inside
the window and it gets raised).

I've also tried metacity 2.16 and 2.17.1 and both work similarily to xfwm4.

PS: You should move this thread to <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>

HTH
Olivier.

Many many thanks.  We are not alone.

I use Glade to build from a rather large project we just sent offshore to get "linux'd".  Hard for me to quickly make a small test program.  But I will; and I wanted to say thanks for the lifeline. The offshore group provided us with a developement box running FC4/Gnome/Metacity. Our Target OS is a LinuxFromScratch built in-house by our linux guru, who just left.

To get visibility to work,....I selected an event mask; and Glade adds:

    gtk_widget_set_events(widget,GDK_VISIBILTY_NOTIFY_MASK). Perhaps the ENTRY_MASK is set by default?

Sunday, and something to be thankful for, amen.  (normally like to separate church and ... work; but this like a prayer answered)

JimOdenthal

immediately.