automatic session logs me into gnome

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Sat Nov 18 03:32:18 CET 2006

Hi All,

    This time I am working on a CentOS 4.4 server.
(Same as RHEL 4.4, roughly based on Fedora Core 3.)

    I have a server I need to boot straight into
XFce and run Parallels virtual machine.  Security
is not an issue.  I have gdm.conf set to:

         #DefaultSession=default.desktop
         DefaultSession=xfce.desktop

    If I log in manually, without going into gdm's
sessions, I get XFce.  Joy, almost.

    If I set gdm to "Automatically" log me in, it
automatically logs me into STINKIN' GNOME! No joy!

    How Do I get gdm to automatically log me into
XFce instead of gnome?  (I suspect I have to
find where gdm reads "default.desktop", but
I have yet to find it.)

Many thanks,
--Tony

---