shutdown as a user problems

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Sat Nov 18 03:11:06 CET 2006

Hi All,

   I am trying to set up my first Linux workstation.
I am using XFce 4.2.

    I have done several servers before and always had root
privaliges.  I can shutdown, poweroff, and reboot from
a command line, but not from the XFce power button.
I read the section in XFce session and added the
requested line to sudoers:

%users  ALL=/sbin/shutdown
%users  ALL=/sbin/halt
%users  ALL=/sbin/poweroff
%users  ALL=/usr/bin/reboot
%users  ALL=/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

When I try to power off, I get asked for the root's
password, which I dutifully enter, then I get told I
do not have permission.  No joy is to be had.

What am I missing?

Many thanks,
--Tony