Xfce compilation on macosx

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 16 07:58:51 CET 2006

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to build Xfce on Mac OSx tiger (yeah, I know... :) ). I've
> successfully built gtk, and it works. I've built xarchiver to see if it
> was ok, and here it is:
>
> http://heracles.corsac.net/~corsac/xfce/xarchiver-osx.png

I notice from the terminal you have open that there are references to
'NSCFArray', etc., so presumably you built gtk with the gdk-quartz
backend rather than the gdk-x11 backend.  You're not likely to get much
farther in your Xfce build attempts, as Xfce includes a bunch of x11
code.  In fact, libxfcegui4 isn't going to compile for you, which means
pretty much nothing else will be buildable, either.

> But now I'd like to build Xfce, and when building libxfce4util (rc2 or
> svn) I get this error:
>
> gcc -dynamiclib
> -o .libs/libxfce4util.4.0.0.dylib  .libs/libxfce4util_la-libxfce4util-aliasdef.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-libxfce4util-enum-types.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-libxfce4util-config.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-libxfce4util-private.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-desktopentry.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-fileutils.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-i18n.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-kiosk.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-license.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-miscutils.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-rc.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-rc-config.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-rc-simple.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-resource.o .libs/libxfce4util_la-xfce-utf8.o  -L/opt/gtk/lib /opt/gtk/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib /usr/lib/libc.dylib /opt/gtk/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib /opt/gtk/lib/libintl.dylib /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib  -install_name  /opt/gtk//lib/libxfce4util.4.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,5 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,5.0
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
> /opt/gtk/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
> /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _xfce_mkdirhier
> _xfce_rc_close
> _xfce_resource_lookup_all
> _xfce_resource_save_location
> _xfce_locale_match
> _xfce_rc_is_readonly
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[3]: *** [libxfce4util.la] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I guess this is not a problem in libxfce4util but in my (weird, I know)
> installation (ld etc.), but if someone knows how to fix this, it would
> be really nice.

... however, that's kinda an odd error to get.  Those functions are all
included in libxfce4util, so I'm not sure why they'd be undefined.
Perhaps they aren't getting exported for some reason, but that doesn't
explain why a bunch of other functions that are declared the same way
*are* getting exported.  libxfce4util also has no GUI parts, and so
should build fine regardless of the GUI sitting on top of it.

Anyway, if I get bored enough I might reboot to OS X and play with it,
but don't hold your breath ^_~.

	-brian