XFCE vs. FVWM

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Mon Nov 13 16:02:07 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 11:09 +0800, 可冰 wrote:

>         > A useless question deserves a useless answer: it depends.
>
> Exactly, I wish a WM to be simple to use and I do not need very
> wonderfule, I just need to focus on my work. According to this, maybe
> FVWM is better for me.   I dit not used XFCE, so I want to find a
> answer.
> I also wish more people would focus on their job and do it
> efficiencily by use a proper WM.

	Brian's answer is much harsher sounding that it should be.  The
difficulty is that the question you ask is far to broad to answer.
Asking -

"Which is better, FVWM or Xfce?"

is akin to asking -

"Which is better a car or a truck?

As Brian succinctly, if a bit abruptly, implied, it depends on what you
are trying to do.  To get a useful answer one much ask a useful
question.  You should dive a detailed accounting of what it is you wish
to do and what your requirements are.  Then, perhaps, it will be easier
for us to give you an answer that would be useful for your needs.

> Sorry for my useless question.

	There's an old saying, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid
answers."  However, the value of an answer is directly related to the
quality of the question.  Your initial question wasn't one that could be
considered stupid.  But it was of little value.  Brian's answer was
truly the equivalent value as your question.  But don't feel this is an
attack on you.  It is, hopefully, a learning experience so that in the
future you will be able to get much more helpful responses to your more
through and informative questions.

Joe