using gnome-screensaver in settings manager

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Thu Nov 9 19:37:23 CET 2006

Hi list,

I've been using xfce (deb sid) for about a year now and really love
it. I've recently installed it on a machine at work that several
people use intermittently. I have installed gnome-screensaver because
it allows user switching and, with gdm, automatically spawns new vt's
as needed for additional X sessions.

So this is great, but I'd love to be able to use
gnome-screensaver-preferences through the settings manager. How would
I do that?

I've checked out /usr/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins which is full of .so files
that are binaries. hmm... not much help there.

I've looked at the source (use the source luke...). I've found
/xfce-mcs/plugins/branches/xfce_4_2/plugins/screensaver_plugin/screensaver_plugin.c
and it looks pretty straightforward. maybe as simple as changing
#define SCREENSAVER_EXE "xscreensaver-demo"

and perhaps

 plugin->icon = xfce_themed_icon_load ("xscreensaver", 48);

so, I know its doable from the source side.

Is there perhaps an easier way, so I don't have to recompile xfce?

any pointers appreciated.

thanks