how to set XFce at run level 5 default?

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Tue Nov 7 21:19:47 CET 2006

Hi All,

     I am new to run level 5.  I have done multiple
servers that start in run level 3, but this is my
first workstation.  In run level 3, when I want
to start XFce, I use "x" (ln -s `which startxfce4` x)
to start it.

    I did the session thing on the web site to get
XFce in gdm, which allows me to pick XFce from
"sessions" at the bottom of the log on screen, but I never
remember.  So I get to say hi to the gnome desktop
everytime I boot up, then log back out, pick XFce
from sessions, and log back in.  What a pain.

    I have made several trips to the gdm's man
page.  No joy.

    How do I make XFce the default in run level 5?

Many thanks
--Tony,