Menu Questions

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 3 14:55:43 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 13:20 +0000, tomw at videotron.ca wrote:
> In a default xfce installation you get 2 pre-configured menus
>       The desktop menu  (when you right click on the desktop)
>       The Xfce menu (button)
> Ok first question can you make changes to desktop menu without changing the Xfce menu?
> (They appear to be identical ...)
>
> Second question: if the answer to the first question is yes, then how can I modify the desktop menu
> (which files) and build a custom menu? The menu editor does not seem to allow for the elimination of
> entries in  /usr/share/applications (System, Multimedia etc)

Question 1: Both approaches to bringing up a menu bring up the same
menu. So if you change one, the changes will show up on the other.

Question 2: I think you'll have to build the new menu from scratch, by
using File=>New in the menu editor. Or your can copy the menu.xml file
from its system-wide location (try /usr/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
or /usr/local/.../menu.xml) to ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml, then
you should be able to edit all your menu entries with the menu editor.

Others may have a more direct way, but this worked for me.

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor