cannot launch some applications from within XFCE

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 16:20:02 CEST 2006

Hi,
I have a problem described below. Actually I am just
curious about the source of the problem, there are
obvious work-arounds otherwise. If I'm asking a stupid
question, excuse me please, as I am a casual Linux
user. One big reason for this, actually was the bloat
and sluggishness of Gnome and KDE: XFCE can make me
use Linux more frequently :). Anyways, here is my
issue:

I recently built the FOX C++ library simply to use
their Adie text editor, on Xubuntu Dapper with XFCE
4.4.
When I install the built shared library *really
locally* (I mean, if I don't invoke ldconfig, but just
set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .bashrc login script), I
observe the following issue:
When I type
>>adie
from the console, the program starts. But,
double-clicking in the filemanger fails to execute the
file.
If I globally install the shared library by modifying
/etc/ld.so.conf and then invoke ldconfig as root,
filemanager successfully executes "adie" (the text
editor aforementioned).

Any idea why this happens?
Thank you.
N.