OT: Theming custom widgets [was Re: xfdesktop patch (new mcs options for icon labels)]

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri May 26 04:14:54 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> [1] As an aside, I find it interesting that I just don't feel the need
> or desire to mess with OS X too much.  I'll just fire up the web browser
> or mail app or whatever, and use stuff.  Whereas on Linux/Xfce I always
> feel the need to tinker with the look and how things work.  Maybe that's
> what "user interface polish" means.  Or maybe for me it's just an "if I
> can play with it, I will" type thing, analogous to "if you build it, he
> will come".  I dunno.

	As an off-topic aside, one of the things I've always liked about the
Mac's, even back into the old Mac Classic-like systems, is that these
were systems where you sit down and start working.  With MS Windows you
spent more time piddling with it (moving windows, changing fonts, etc.)
than actually using it.  This is also something I find true with X,
though not to the same extent.

	One of the relatively recent "improvements" to computing has been the
whole theming craze.  I have always been of the opinion that an
interface should be customizable to the extent of making it more
productive for each user but it should always look and act and feel the
same no matter who's computer you sit down in front of.

	Heh, user interfaces have only gone downhill since CICS.  ;-)

Joe