Really slow panel after an upgrade?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:24:49 CEST 2006

Problem:
My panel is extremely slow to respond to mouse events. It takes ~ 5
seconds to even paint the mouse over affect and raise a tooltip for my
icons in the panel.

What changed?
This didn't always behave this way, the problem began to occur right
after I applied a slackware security patch to XOrg.

The patch contained:
x11-6.8.2-i486-5.tgz
x11-devel-6.8.2-i486-5.tgz

Here is the slackware advisory:
http://www.slackware.org/security/viewer.php?l=slackware-security&y=2006&m=slackware-security.437110

I am using a non-standard environment however. I installed MonoDevelop
and during that installation, it needed updated gnome libraries and
gdi plus libraries.

I am using slackware 10.2.

Any ideas of why the updated x11 (xorg) libraries would have cause the
panel to be really slow? My xfce taskbar is still really fast, it is
only the panel that is slow.

Here is a configuration of my panel:

xfce menu
mini commane line
several launchers
show desktop
mount/display devices
graphical pager
System buttons
System tray (KDE applications: kblticker, gaim, thunderbird notification plugin)
WaveLAN plugin
Clipboard Plugin
Battery Monitor
Volume Control
Netload
System Load
Taskbar
Xfce clock

Even if I restart X the problem doesn't go away. It did go away after
I rebooted linux (odd, but true).

Any Ideas?

Thank you,
Andrew