A short outside history of Xfce

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Sat May 6 04:39:29 CEST 2006

ons, 03 05 2006 kl. 18:17 +0200, skrev Stefan Stuhr:
> I have never tried CDE myself. But I do really like and use especially
> one CDE feature which isn't supported by GNOME and KDE, and which I was
> introduced to with Xfce 4.0: The launcher "arrow" sub menus.
>
> I have just tried to see how close I could get to make my Xfce
> installation look like CDE, based on Solaris screenshots[1].
> The result:
> http://www.sstuhr.dk/screenshot1.png
>
>       * The window manager theme is "Mofit".
>       * The GTK2 theme is Xfce-stellar.
>       * The backdrop is xfce-stellar-tile.png, which is included with
>         Xfdesktop.
>       * The icon theme, Tango, isn't CDE-ish at all, but it should be
>         possible to find and/or make a CDE-ish icon theme.
>       * The only non-Xfce part of the screenshot, beside the Tango icons
>         and some of the minimized applications, is the panel pager,
>         which is the GNOME panel pager applet running in Xfapplet.
>
> [1]:
> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=278&slide=39
>      - especially http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/278_or/64.png

I have just tried again:
http://www.sstuhr.dk/screenshot7.png

I believe that I did it a lot better this time:
      * The icons are way more CDE'ish than Tango. Most of them are from
        the Xfce 4.0 "XFce" panel icon theme, a few are from Xfce3, and
        some of them are from the Rodent icon theme.
      * The panel draws the handles, thank to some customisations to the
        "Xfce-stellar" theme.
      * The panel has a workspace switcher (as opposed to the pager),
        and it works! I am currently developing it in PyXfce. I won't
        promise anything, I am not always good at actually finishing and
        releasing things. But it does currently support nice things like
        switch-on-drag, switch-on-scroll, and custom theme styling (as
        demonstrated on the screenshot). It also has a properties
        dialog, with number of rows, border and spacing, and minimum
        button width.

Stefan