A short outside history of Xfce

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Thu May 4 02:42:49 CEST 2006

tor, 04 05 2006 kl. 02:12 +0200, skrev Andrew Conkling:
> On 5/3/06, Stefan Stuhr <xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk> wrote:
> > I have never tried CDE myself. But I do really like and use especially
> > one CDE feature which isn't supported by GNOME and KDE, and which I was
> > introduced to with Xfce 4.0: The launcher "arrow" sub menus.
>
> FWIW, I'm pretty sure that both GNOME and KDE support a "drawer"
> submenu that can pop out and show more launchers.  The only difference
> (and a good one) with Xfce's is that it can act as a launcher by
> itself, whereas the others only have launchers inside.

The drawer of the GNOME panel is more of an extended panel, with support
for all the applets the panel supports. That is, launchers in a drawer
show in the same way as in the panel itself, with only an icon.
The GNOME panel menus is more like it. But like the drawer, it requires
a whole icon just for that. It would quickly use way too much space if I
should have as many GNOME panel drawers or menus as I currently have
launchers with submenus in Xfce, while still having all the main
launchers.

I like to have my launchers in categories, with the most used/important
application as the main launcher and other applications in the category
in the submenu.

Currently, I have the following categories:
* Terminal, with Terminal as main launcher.
* Utilities, with gedit as main launcher.
* File management, with Thunar as main launcher.
* Internet, with Mozilla Firefox as main launcher.
* Communication, with Evolution mail as main launcher.
* Office/Productivity, with AbiWord as main launcher.
* Graphics, with an image viewer as main launcher.
* Multimedia, currently with Rhythmbox as main launcher (I don't use it
much).
* System, with xfce-setting-show as main launcher.
* Print, without submenu.
* Lock screen/Log out, with xflock4 as main launcher, and "Log out" and
  "Hibernate" in submenu.

Stefan