A short outside history of Xfce

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Wed May 3 19:04:57 CEST 2006

ons, 03 05 2006 kl. 12:34 -0400, skrev Joe Klemmer:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 18:17 +0200, Stefan Stuhr wrote:
> >       * The GTK2 theme is Xfce-stellar.
>
> 	Don't got it.  Where is this?  I've only got the 4.4b1 version of Xfce
> installed.  Where did you find this theme?

It should be part of the gtk-xfce-engine-2 package. Did you install
using the installer? I remember that the gtk-xfce-engine-2 package came
as a separate installer file for Xfce 4.2, because it needs to be
installed in the same prefix as GTK2 in order to work. But there doesn't
seem to be a separate installer available for the 4.3 beta.

You can download it as a tar.bz2 here:
http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.3.90.1/src/gtk-xfce-engine-2.3.90.1.tar.bz2
As said, it has to be installed to the same prefix as GTK2.

> >       * The backdrop is xfce-stellar-tile.png, which is included with
> >         Xfdesktop.
>
> 	Got it.  I actually have one that I think looks better which came with
> xfce 3 somewhere.  If I find it I'll do a screenshot.

If it's there, you should be able to find it in Xfce SVN (Xfce3 is
there):
http://svn.xfce.org/listing.php?repname=xfce4&path=%2Fxfce3%2Ftrunk%
2Fbackdrops%2F&rev=0&sc=0#/xfce3/trunk/backdrops/

> >       * The only non-Xfce part of the screenshot, beside the Tango icons
> >         and some of the minimized applications, is the panel pager,
> >         which is the GNOME panel pager applet running in Xfapplet.
>
> 	There's a panel plug-in in xfce already to do this.

I know that. But the Xfce pager doesn't support showing desktop names
instead of miniature windows. The GNOME pager does.
I do use the Xfce pager normally, but in this case, where I was trying
to get Xfce to look as CDE-ish as possible, the GNOME pager seemed more
fitting.

> > It could look more like CDE:
> [...]
> >       * The launcher arrow buttons could be on top of the launcher
> >         buttons (maybe there should be a global CDE compatibility option
> >         that could be used for this, among other things; panel global or
> >         Xfce global?).
>
> 	Agreed but if Jas (or anyone else) isn't up to doing it I can probably
> live with the menu arrows where they are.

I prefer to have them where they are (to the right), but as mentioned, I
haven't got a background with CDE.

Stefan